SFDA Menu Labeling: Improving Accuracy in Nutrition Display on Menus

According to an article published by Arab News, approximately 70% of bakeries, patisseries and other eateries have gotten the hang of accurately displaying nutrition information on their menus, beverages and retail food items. But what about the other 30%? And are you amongst them? According to this article on SFDA menu labeling published by Arab News:

“The most notable violations included miscalculating calorie content; not displaying calorie content on all menus; not displaying the calorie content of each item on the menu; not specifying calories separately for each method of preparation; and not including the required phrase: “Adults need an average of 2,000 calories daily. Requirements may vary.” 

So if you’re in foodservice, how do you make sure that the nutrition information on your restaurant menu, food products or beverages is correct? The short answer is: use a quality nutrition analysis platform that trouble shoots for errors and has the FDA/SFDA regulations built right into it. Yes, we are talking about ourselves. Who else?

SFDA Menu Labeling

Quickly provide accurate nutrition information for your dining guests in accordance to the SFDA menu labeling laws with MenuCalc.

Avoiding SFDA Menu Labeling Violations

The very first thing cited in the list of possible violations is something that we absolutely pride ourselves on: accuracy. The MenuCalc platform is created by combining the USDA ingredient database with an intelligent nutrition calculator. Each time that you enter a recipe into the MenuCalc platform to be analyzed, each ingredient is measured against hundreds of thousands of lab-tested ingredients that have specific nutrient values attached to them. For this reason, it is next to impossible to mis-calculate. With MenuCalc’s comprehensive ingredient database, you can search and identify your recipe ingredients, specify the appropriate measurement and calculate the nutrition information for your menu recipes.

This nutrient information includes but is not limited to:

  • Calories
  • Total Fat
  • Carbohydrates
  • Fiber
  • Protein
  • Vitamins
  • Minerals

This method is a simple, effective option for those restaurant operators who want to abide by the SFDA menu labeling law without having to pay the costly price of sending all of their menu items to a lab for an evaluation.

Allergen Flagging

In addition to easy recipe nutrition calculation, the MenuCalc platform also flags menu recipes for the presence of the Top 8 Allergens that consumers are allergic to within the foods they consume. The top 8 allergens are the most prevalent within food consumption to cause an allergic response.

The top 8 allergens include: 

  • milk
  • eggs
  • wheat
  • tree nuts
  • peanuts
  • fish
  • shellfish
  • soy

Each time that a recipe ingredient is identified in the MenuCalc platform, it is then flagged for the presence of these allergens. This information can then be added to the nutrition information that is provided for dining guests. This information is in addition to what is required by SFDA menu labeling laws but it equally important for the safety of consumers when dining out. This data has also been in high demand amongst dining guests in the recent years and serves to be a compliment to menu nutrition information provided by restaurants everywhere.

Providing accurate nutrition information for your restaurant menu is a lot easier than you can imagine when you are equipped with the right tools. If you’re interested in discovering a platform dedicated to nutrition analysis for restaurant professionals, you’re in the right place! Contact us for more information on how to get started. 

Recent Posts

What is MenuCalc?

Download our free menu labeling white paper, and calorie posting guide today! 

Watch A Demo

Recommended Reading

How to comply with the menu labeling law for calorie posting

How to comply with the menu labeling law for calorie posting

Do you operate more than 20 locations?  Have you gotten your calories posted on your menu? By calculating the nutrition analysis for restaurants, you will be in compliance with the FDA Menu Labeling Rule. But what does this mean, and how does it apply to your...

2022 New Years Resolutions and Your Restaurant Menu

2022 New Years Resolutions and Your Restaurant Menu

Can you believe that 2021 is coming to a close? It seems like just yesterday that we were relieved to see 2020 end doesn't it? Yet, here we are entering 2022 in just a few more days. If you are amongst those celebrating in the United States, you know what's coming up...