SFDA Menu Labeling: Improving Accuracy in Nutrition Display on Menus

According to an article published by Arab News, approximately 70% of bakeries, patisseries and other eateries accurately display their nutrition information on their menus. But what about the other 30%? And are you amongst them? According to this article on Saudi FDA menu labeling published by Arab News:

“The most notable violations included miscalculating calorie content; not displaying calorie content on all menus; not displaying the calorie content of each item on the menu; not specifying calories separately for each method of preparation; and not including the required phrase: “Adults need an average of 2,000 calories daily. Requirements may vary.” 

How can you make sure that your restaurant menu displays accurate nutrition information for food and beverages? Luckily, there is a solution. Use a quality nutrition analysis platform that troubleshoots for errors and has the FDA/SFDA regulations built right into it. MenuCalc is that solution.

SFDA Menu Labeling

Quickly provide accurate nutrition information for your dining guests in accordance to the SFDA menu labeling laws with MenuCalc.

Avoiding FDA Menu Labeling Violations in Saudi Arabia 

These regulations cite an extensive list of possible violations.

First; accuracy. The MenuCalc platform combines the USDA ingredient database with an intelligent nutrition calculator. Each time that you enter a recipe into the MenuCalc platform, it analyzes each ingredient individually. Next, the system measures the ingredients against hundreds of thousands of previously lab-tested ingredients to calculate the nutritional facts. Because of this, our system provides incredibly accurate information. With MenuCalc’s comprehensive ingredient database, you can search and identify your recipe ingredients, specify the appropriate measurement and calculate the nutrition information for your menu recipes.

This nutrient information includes:

  • Calories
  • Total Fat
  • Carbohydrates
  • Fiber
  • Protein
  • Vitamins
  • Minerals

This simple, effective option allows restaurant operators to receive this accurate information without outsourcing a lab to evaluate their food.

Allergen Flagging

Additionally, MenuCalc platform also flags menu recipes for the presence of the Top 8 Allergens that consumers are allergic to within the foods they consume.

The top 8 allergens include: 

  • milk
  • eggs
  • wheat
  • tree nuts
  • peanuts
  • fish
  • shellfish
  • soy

Now, each time that our system identifies an allergen, it gets flagged. Then, this information gets added to the menu so dining guests see it when they view your menu. Besides being required by the FDA menu labeling laws in Saudi Arabia, allergen reporting also allows diners to consume your food safely. Dining guests often demand this information. In fact, we expect most restaurants to provide this information in the coming years.

Having the proper tools makes providing accurate nutrition information for your restaurant menu easy and painless. Fortunately, MenuCalc’s nutrition analysis system can do all of that work for you. Contact us for more information on how to get started. 

Recent Posts

What is MenuCalc?

Download our free menu labeling white paper, and calorie posting guide today! 

Watch A Demo

Recommended Reading

3 Plant-Based Brands We’re Loving

3 Plant-Based Brands We’re Loving

For those with plant-based preferences, the number of options for outsourcing meals is at an all-time high. Dozens of new vegan options are now available on grocery store shelves —from nut-based milk and plant-based meats to packaged snacks, wine, yogurt, and butter.

Creating Your Menu: How a Nutrition Facts Calculator Can Help

Creating Your Menu: How a Nutrition Facts Calculator Can Help

Large restaurant franchises have been searching for easy ways to build their menus. The shifts in the industry have posed significant challenges for big business owners everywhere. Menu creation should be a source of excitement and creativity, but this process has...

The Importance of Food Safety in the Hospitality Sector

The Importance of Food Safety in the Hospitality Sector

Serving patrons is a privilege, and we know that the majority of the hospitality industry feels this way. A major point of success in the hospitality sector is food, and with this, food safety. When businesses fail to meet the basic principles of food safety, several...